Yesterday I had my first cooking lesson in Spanish. The cuisine was an old time favourite: la tortilla. This was one of the plates we enjoyed on our last visit to Spain so I was excited to say the least when my mama told me she was going to teach me how to cook it. And it was such an easy dish! Potatoes and egg, nada más.
2 – 3 potatoes
2 – 3 eggs
- Peel the potatoes and then slice them into small pieces. Rinse.
- Heat a generous amount of olive oil and fry the potatoes until cooked.
- Drain the oil from the pan. Add salt.
- Meanwhile, whisk the eggs until combined and the one colour.
- Spread the potatoes in the pan and pour in the egg. Cook until the egg is cooked through and the tortilla feels firm.
- Carefully put upside-down onto a plate and slide it back into the pan (to cook the other side) for 2 minutes and then take off the heat.
- Turn the pan upside down onto a plate and there you have it: una tortilla española!
This was so yummy and tasted just like I remembered. The only thing to note for next time is not to cut yourself while slicing the potato! I think this has made my poor mama reluctant to continue with the ‘hands on’ cooking lessons!